My Winter Skin Survival Guide
Growing up with eczema and dealing with it into adulthood has provided me with more product testing than one could ever imagine. I’ve tried everything from oatmeal baths (pretty ew if you’re not an infant) to presciption strength moisturizers, and I’ve found the best working products. Now that the temps are dropping, and dry skin season is on its way, I’ve narrowed down a list of products that work hard to combat dryness and keep you feeling hydrated all winter long.
I’ve never stuck to only one brand in any of my life or beauty routines, and skincare is no different. The products I use range from under $10 drug store brands to one or two items just over $80 at Sephora (and pretty much everything in-between)!
My favorite products to combat winter skin:
(click the product image to shop!)
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum (use code ’20FORVIB’ for 20% everything at Sephora!)
- Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Serum
- CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (with SPF 30)
- IT Cosmetics Je Ne Sais Quoi Hydrating Lip Treatment (also available at Sephora!)
- Nip + Fab Dragon’s Blood Hylaronic Shot
- St. Ives Timless Skin Collagen Facial Moisturizer (under $10!)
- Lush Dark Angels Scrubby Black Sugar Cleanser
- Neutrogena Body Oil
- Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Organic Hand Sanitizer (smells heavenly)
- Lush Big Body Building Shampoo
- Bliss Lemon & Sage Maximum Moisture Cream
- Ahava Mineral Hand Cream
A few tips to get the most out of these awesome products:
- Moisturize as soon as you dry off in the shower. The sooner you can get lotion or oil on your body the better is can absorb into your skin.
- Do NOT exfoliate every day! Limit yourself to using Lush Dark Angels once or twice a week, and always be gentle. This is even more important if you have sensitive skin. Dark Angels is amazing for black heads too so focus on your problem areas first.
- SPF every single day…no excuses. We’ve all heard it a million times, the sun is the number one source of early aging and skin damage (and I know none of you want that!). Even if you don’t use CeraVe, pick a moisturizer that has at least 30 SPF and you will never have to remember a second product!
- Keep a tub of vaseline or your favorite chapstick next to your bed and over apply right before you go to sleep. I’ve been doing this for years and it keeps my lips soft and smooth even on the coldest of winter days!
- If you’re someone who forgets to moisturize before it’s too late, try keeping hand lotion & lip balm at your desk or workspace. Then, you’ll always be reminded to use it (even if you aren’t feeling dry yet!)
I know it may seem ridiculous to use this many different products on my skin, but dry skin can be painful and irritating. So for me, it’s totally worth it. (I’ve even gotten my boyfriend into my bedtime skin routine :p).
The cold air, freezing winds, and drying indoor heat can put your skin through a lot on a daily basis. Stay protected, stay soft, and most of all, stay hydrated!
Have a great weekend guys!